Graham Cleghorn….victim of injustice in Cambodia?

Home > News Reports >  2006  

 





Waikato Times
June 20 2006

Cambodia rape case appeal

A new appeal date for a New Zealand man serving 20 years in a Cambodian jail for rape has been set down for July 10 after the New Zealand ambassador Peter Rider intervened in the case, the man's former lawyer says. Dy Borima, who has resigned as lawyer for Graham Cleghorn, 58, said the Phnom Penh Appeals Court had told him of the date late last week.

Cleghorn was convicted of raping five female former employees in 2004. Last Friday he said in an interview from Prey Sar prison outside Phnom Penh that he held out no hope of a fair trial and insisted he was the victim of a "sex sting".

He claimed the Cambodian Women's Crisis Centre set him up to promote its lucrative fund-raising and enable corrupt officials to lay claim to his valuable land at the edge of the Angkor Wat temple complex.

It will be Cleghorn's fourth attempt to have an appeal heard.