Graham Cleghorn….victim of injustice in Cambodia?

Home > News Reports >  2006  

 





Dominion Post
December 8 2006

Cleghorn case delayed
by Matthew Torbit

A New Zealander serving 20 years in a Cambodian prison for rape has had his appeal delayed - after those who helped put him behind bars failed to show up at the hearing.

Graham Cleghorn, 60, formerly of Wellington, appeared in a Phnom Penh courtroom yesterday morning, but was sent back to his maximum-security prison cell after none of his accusers, their lawyer or Siem Reap members of the Cambodian Woman's Crisis Centre showed for the appeal hearing.

The judge decided to adjourn the case till next month, though a specific date had yet to be set down.

Cleghorn was jailed in February 2004 after being found guilty of raping five girls at his Siem Reap home. He says he has been framed by corrupt officials who want his land on the edge of the Angkor Wat temple complex.

Cleghorn's Australian-based daughter, Heidi Madeley, said last night that she was phoned by Bangkok-based New Zealand consul Lyndal Walker, who was present at Cleghorn's appeal. "She told me the hearing had been put on hold until next month but a date has yet to be set. It's frustrating."

Ms Madeley said her father was understandably let down by the adjournment.

It is uncertain why the accusers did not appear for the appeal, but it is thought they were not notified of the court date.